Health and Safety guidelines, rules and regulations
Your safety is paramount to us. Please read our Health and Safety advice and other guidance as they are for your safety and the enjoyment of your trip. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions relating to your canoes, other equipment and the River Wye.
1. If you or any of your party have any health issues such as asthma, diabetes or heart disease this should be discussed first and us made aware of these conditions. In certain circumstances we may discourage you from taking part in the event. Anyone with a history of epilepsy should not participate in this activity.
2. If you are, or think you might be pregnant, you should not take part in this activity. We will not allow any one to participate when we are, or become, aware of such condition.
3. Maximum weight per canoe is 40 stone (255kg). ie 2 Adults + 2 Children or 3 Adults + 1 Child.
4. Children under the age of 4 years are not allowed to participate.
5. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Adult to child ratios required: children beteen 5 and 10, 2 adults to one child. Young people between 11 and 17 - one adult to each young person.
6. Minimum age to hire is 18.
7. No fishing is allowed unless you have the appropriate permit to fish on the stretch of the river your journey takes you on and you are required to carry, and produce on request, a National rod license. Under no circumstances is anyone allowed to trawl or fish from a canoe; all fishing is to be done from the river bank.
8. Please arrive 15-20 minutes before your allocated launch/transport time, allowing time to be kitted out with buoyancy aids, fill out the hire agreement and receive your health and safety briefing. If you are late, unfortunately we may have to leave without you, meaning your trip may have to be cancelled or re-scheduled.
9. Buoyancy Aids must be worn at all times whilst you are canoeing.
10. Please when leaving the river take all your belongings, buoyancy aids and paddles as these are your responsibility and you will be charged for in full if lost or stolen.
Guided tours. At certain times and by prior arrangement, we can provide a river guide to accompany you on your trip. Please note this service is only available by prior arrangement, and not at the time of your arrival. Cost is £40 per half day, £80 for full day.
Dogs. Dogs are welcome. However under no circumstances are they to be leashed in the canoe.
River Safety Cover. Please note that there is no safety cover on the river. But we are contactable at all times to effect or organise a rescue. Contact Mark on Landline: 01600 890 470, Mobile: 07525 377437.
Mobile phone coverage. Please be aware that mobile phone coverage on the river is minimal for a lot of the major networks. Hot spots are Kerne Bridge, Lower Lydbrook, Symonds Yat Rock.
Alcohol. Alcohol should not be consumed prior to your trip. Anyone found under the influence of alcohol or any other substances will not be permitted to hire or participate in the event. We discourage large amounts of alcohol being taken on the river and have the right to confiscate it until you return.
What to wear and spare equipment. Loose clothing. i.e. T shirts, trainers or flip flops. (NOT WELLINGTON BOOTS). Please be aware when the sun is out it will reflect off the water making it very hot , so please dress accordingly to minimise risk of heat stroke and sunburn. Also weather conditions can change very quickly on your journey. Bring a change of clothes just in case.
Do bring: A drink, chocolate bar, snack or picnic, especially if you are not planning to stop off at a pub en-route. Suitable sunscreen is also recommended.
Do not bring: Expensive jewellery. Watches, cameras, video cameras etc if not waterproof. We cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to any of your effects.
Rubbish. As per the countryside code please protect the countryside and wildlife by not leaving rubbish on the river banks or by dropping it in the river. Bring it back with you and we will dispose of it for you.
Don't forget to pick up your Loyalty Card during your visit!